Thursday, July 25, 2013

Grandma's Stewed Zucchini

My sister has talked about making my Grandma's Stewed Zucchini for a few years now.  I think it was the word "stewed" that turned me off.  Boy was I wrong!  How could I believe that any recipe from my Italian grandmother could NOT be good?  And this, my friends, is good!


I called my grandmother up and asked her what she does with zucchini.  "You don't want to make zucchini bread," she says, "It's way too much work.  Make some Stewed Zucchini."

When I let her give me the recipe and it started with bacon, I figured it went well this week.  Saute up bacon and onion in a pot.

 While the bacon is crisping, slice up zucchini.  "Don't cut it in chunks," Grandma said, "you want thin slices."  I used up the zucchini and squash we got in our pick up last week.  I wish I hadn't chopped the big old pieces in half!  Then add just enough water to cover the zucchini and simmer it until the zucchini is tender and the water is gone.

I didn't get a picture of the water gone.  I used WAY too much water and then I didn't have enough tomato sauce so I put in some tomato paste with the broth that was left in the pot.  Once the water is gone, add 3 cans of tomato sauce.  Season with parsley and a bay leaf as well as salt and pepper.

Once the pot returns to a simmer, beat up 2 eggs, temper (add a little bit of the hot mixture with the eggs at a time, whisking constantly until you have about 1/2 cup of liquid + egg) and add the eggs to the stewed zucchini.  Let warm again.  Then you are ready to eat!

Frank and I had our Stewed Zucchini last night with meatballs (on the side - we didn't have time to let them cook in the sauce).  I just ate it plain for lunch yesterday!


Grandma's Stewed Zucchini


1/2 onion, chopped
2 -4 pieces of bacon (I used two thick cut slices)
4-5 small - medium zucchini, 2-3 big zucchini, thinly sliced - not chunks! (may add squash as well)
3 cans tomato sauce
1 bay leaf
Parsley
Salt
Pepper
1-2 eggs

Saute up bacon and onion in a pot. While the bacon is crisping, slice up zucchini in thin slices.    When bacon is crisp, add  then sliced zucchini to the pot and cover with just enough water.  Simmer until the zucchini is tender and the water is gone.
Once the water is gone, add 3 cans of tomato sauce.  Season with parsley and a bay leaf as well as salt and pepper.
Let pot return to a simmer, beat up 2 eggs in a heat safe container, temper (add a little bit of the hot mixture with the eggs at a time, whisking constantly until you have about 1/2 cup of liquid + egg) and add the eggs to the stewed zucchini.  Let warm again.  Then you are ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment