Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Teriyaki Pork Cabbage Wraps

Squash has been the name of the game this week.  Squash for lunch, squash for snacks, squash for dinner, squash for breakfast - yep, I tried it ;).

The Squash Tots I made on Sunday from The Curious Country cook were really good.  I used Parmesan cheese and Italian breadcrumbs.  They taste just like veggie meatballs - yum!!!

And the squash for breakfast . . .  If I could only recreate my husband's exasperated face!  I'm just using my resources honey! I made Naturally Ella's "Zucchini Bread Pancakes" (with the squash we had).  They weren't bad.  I would definitely use the fine shredder side next time we try these.  Then there would be less to chew!

The BIGGEST winner, however, has been the Cabbage Wraps.  (Which don't have squash in the title at all - maybe that's the win ;).

These babies are phenomenal!!

I've been making the pork for a few years now - it's a fabulous marinade.  1 part soy sauce, 1 part Maple syrup to 1/2 part lime juice and throw in some garlic, salt and pepper.  This is awesome on pork chops and chicken.  The first time I made it was for camping.  We went shopping a few days before and I stuck the pork in the marinade in the freezer.  By the time we wanted to cook it, it had thawed beautifully in the cooler and grilled up in a yummy way.  Last time we went on a meat hall to Sam's, Frank and I packaged some cubed pork in a Food Saver bag so it'd be good to go.  I defrosted it and thought . . . hmmm . . . this would be good with some squash!

I sauteed up the squash with some onion, salt and pepper, then added the marinated pork.  We steamed up some rice, washed some cabbage leaves and got out the hoisin sauce.  Don't pass it up - this stuff is awesome!!

When your meat is fully cooked and your rice is steamed, assemble your goodness:

  • Spread Hoisin sauce on your cabbage leaf
  • Add a bit of rice
  • Finish off with the pork/squash mix
  • Enjoy!

Teriyaki Pork Cabbage Wraps


Cubed Pork Tenderloin - as much as you'd cook for your, yourself or your family
Marinate in 1 part soy sauce, 1 part Maple syrup to 1/2 part lime juice and garlic, salt and pepper.
Let Marinate from 30 minutes to even sticking it in the freezer for a later date.
1 C cubed Squash or Zucchini
1/2 small onion, diced
Olive Oil
2 cups of rice, steamed
Cabbage for Wrapping (if you'd rather use shredded cabbage, you could wrap these in tortillas)
Hoisin Sauce - the BBQ of Oriental food

Saute squash and onion in oil seasoned with salt and pepper.
Add meat and marinade liquid - I added some more marinade.
When your meat is fully cooked and your rice is steamed, assemble your goodness:

  • Spread Hoisin sauce on your cabbage leaf
  • Add a bit of rice
  • Finish off with the pork/squash mix
  • Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I made egg rolls with our cabbage and squash this week. I shredded the zucchini and cabbage with carrots and onion; sauteed it with 1 lb of ground pork and mixed in some rice wine vinegar and soy sauce. They were delicious. It's amazing how we were totally on the same page :-)

    ReplyDelete