Tuesday, August 20, 2013

White Chicken Chili

This week's share brought us some beautiful, yet small, anaheim peppers, jalapenos and red onions. All I could think is I have to make my husband's summer favorite White Chicken Chili. Generally I would use a mix of poblano and anaheim peppers for this recipe but, I definitely lean towards using what God has provided. So here's what I did:

Anaheim's and jalapenos
I started by seeding and rough chopping the peppers so the food processor could do most of the work (I did throw in a couple of the cubanelle peppers as I didn't think I had quite enough to make the 2 cups I was looking for). A food processor is not necessary but it certainly makes fine chopping of the peppers an easier job for a person like me who is VERY sensitive to the oils in the peppers. I definitely wish I had remembered my gloves as it took a couple of hand washing excursions to get the heat out of my hands. PLEASE do not put your hands anywhere near your eyes following this task, pain will follow.


Red onions and a few cubanelles
 Then I threw the red onions into the food processor as well. Hey, if you've already put the device to work you might has well use it. I should also mention I usually use spanish onions in this recipe but red work just as well.
Turkey fat, yum :-)
  All that goes in a large pot with some fat to get all soft and translucent. Now, a lot of times I will use bone-in, skin on chicken breasts for this recipe but, I didn't have these on hand (I would saute the breasts skin side down first to render some of the fat for the veggies and develop some fond). My substitute for the fat that those breasts provide was some rendered turkey fat that I usually keep in the fridge or freezer from making stock. If you don't want either just use some vegetable oil.
Nicely sauteed, ready for the next step!




  

Reserved veggies and beans
Right now, I need to pull some of those veggies. And add them to some of the beans that I cooked up (If you don't own a pressure cooker get one they are a super time/energy saver! Great Northern Beans get cooked in 4 minutes - not including bowling and natural release time.) Puree those together in the food processor (You haven't cleaned that out yet, right?!). Set this aside for the moment.


Next the spices and stock into the pot. Yup, homemade turkey stock was what I had in the freezer so in it went. 
Love homemade stock!



Bring the items in the pot to a simmer then add some boneless-skinless chicken breasts. 
Nestle the chicken into that hot mixture. 

Bean mixture is in. 
Top with the bean and veggie puree and allow all of this to simmer for about 20 minutes or until the chicken registers 160 degrees with an instant read thermometer.



Remove the chicken breasts and dice or shred the chicken as soon as you are able to handle it.
See, I really check to make
sure things are done.

Chicken and beans are in!
Add the chicken back to the pot along with rest of the beans. At this point you want to add lime juice, the optional ingredients and, taste for salt/pepper. Bring everything back to a simmer and serve over brown rice, cheese or just a wedge of lime. Enjoy!


My garnish? Some of my delicious giardiniera

White Chicken Chili

Ingredients:

1 tbsp. oil (or poultry fat)
2 c. Anaheim and Poblano Peppers, fine diced
2 c. onion, fine diced
2 jalapeno peppers, stems and seeds removed, fine diced
6 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
1 tbsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
salt
3 c. chicken stock
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/2 lb dry white beans, cooked (2 standard cans)
3 tbsp. lime juice
1/4 c. fresh cilantro (optional)
1/2 c. scallions, sliced (about 4, optional)
ground black pepper

Directions:

1. In a large pot, add the oil and heat on medium high. Saute the onions and peppers until soft and translucent. Reserve 1 c. of these vegetables.
2. Add the garlic, 1/4 tsp of salt and spices to the pot. Saute for 30 seconds then add the stock. Bring to a simmer.
3. Nestle the chicken in the stock and vegetables. Puree the vegetables with 1 c. of the beans. Add to the pot. Cook the chicken until the internal temperature comes to 160 degrees.
4. Remove the chicken breasts and dice. Add the chicken back to the pot and add the remaining beans. Bring back to a simmer.
5. Add the lime juice, cilanto (if using), and scallions (if using). Taste for salt and pepper. Serve hot with lime wedges and rice.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds absolutely delicious! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete