Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Stuffed Pepper Soup

This one is for our fellow blogger who asked me how I make my Stuffed Pepper Soup this morning. We have a plethora of peppers from this week's share and it's my husband's favorite use for them :-)

I started by dicing up 2 of the bell peppers. Added 1/2 of a red onion that I had from last weeks share, a handful of baby carrots sitting in the fridge and some celery tops (LOADS of celery flavor there). 


I sauteed all of this in olive oil for a few minutes until everything gets softened and the onions are translucent.


I had a little over 1/2 a pound of cooked hamburger leftover from Monday night's hamburgers. I just broke those into pieces and added them to the pot.


Now I got a super deal on some canned tomato soup so I'm using it here but you can add virtually any type of tomato, cooked or canned to this recipe to equal out to the weight. You're looking for 28 oz. total. Also add in 2 cups of your favorite beef broth or bouillon equivalent.


Simmer and stir for about 30 minutes until everything has cooked through and the flavors have melded. Add 2 cups of cooked rice (I like brown but any type will work) and serve. Delicious and filling you'll be coming back for seconds.




Steffanie's Stuffed Pepper Soup

Ingredients:

2 Green Bell Peppers, chopped (about 2 cups)
1/2 c. onion, minced
1 c. carrot, diced
1/2 c. celery, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 lb ground beef
2 cans condensed tomato soup
1 - 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 c. beef broth
2 c. cooked rice
salt and pepper 

Directions:

If the ground beef is raw, brown in a large pot and set aside. In the same pot add the olive oil and the first 4 ingredients. Saute over med-high heat until softened and the onions are translucent. Add the garlic, ground beef and Italian seasoning. Once you can smell the garlic add the tomato and broth. Bring to a simmer and reduce the soup to low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add the cooked rice, bring back to a simmer and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.

Note: If you would like to make this soup in advance DO NOT add the rice - it gets all mushy. The soup can be portioned out and stored in the freezer. To reheat, thaw and add the rice once hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment